Popular Posts

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Skills networking...gasp!

After countless e-vites to LinkedIn, I finally succumbed to peer pressure and joined.  I enthusiastically entered in all of my data and then I naively explored the Groups Directory. That's when it hit me, hard:  I love knowing what I know and sharing to help others, but compared to the vast amount of knowledge and experienced professionals, I don't know much!  The amount of information circulating in any given common interest group is amazing...and humbling.  Yup, I'll admit it: I find it all a bit scary. 

The first step for me on this journey was admitting that not only can I help my own children learn more effectively and efficiently, I can do the same for other people.  But after looking through all the possible "connections" on just one site, it is hard to beat the feeling of defeat before I even start!  My possible contribution seems so small, so insignificant compared to the "experts" already in practice.  


And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (Romans 8:28)

So I will not fear the unknowns in my life. Instead I will have confidence in knowing that the rewards of my labors (and toils) can be for everyone, not just my family.  


And since this blog is called "The Best of the Best," I will end with some great research on how your brain needs actual face time to stimulate your brain "networks" in order to be "linked in" to develop higher order thinking abilities appropriately.
The very relationships and interactions we have with others are capable of altering the way the synaptic connections of our brain cells grow and connect to other brain cells.  Social interactions are capable of influencing the flow of chemicals that govern activities and stress  (Paul MacLean in 1978, taken from the book 12 Brain/Mind Learning Principles in Action by R and G Caine, 2005)
In the same book, the authors go on to ask, "What are we after?" in studying learning principles.  Their response is dead on but not usually spoken:
We are after the development of the executive functions (higher thinking skills)....the goal is to make good decisions in the real world, based on knowledge and experience.  People with highly developed executive functions have mastered the ability to plan and organized their thinking, use reason, engage in risk management, make sense of ideas and behaviors, multitask, moderate emotions... (Caine, 2005)
In other words, the person who has it all together, who knows how to act and respond to life! I am prefacing this last quote with the above logic so that it is clear that these skills are developmental:
The brain must develop, be taught how to "read others, moderate emotional responses and interact using social intelligences."  There is a specific spot in your brain, the orbitalfrontal cortex, that develops a "real time" ability to correctly assess external events and then link them to appropriate action.  This same region is responsible for taking charge of unexpected internal and external conditions and then creating a new, flexible behavior and cognitive response instead of an automatic reflexive one. (Caine, 2005)
If you are texting and messaging people online, without that visual and social stimulus, you are not developing the very important skills listed above!  Your brain needs face time, not just visual status updates!

Now to "skills networking"...

It's great to be "LinkedIn," but it is even better to have a "PM" "contact" in a "set current location" so that you can actually "LOL" with one of your "favorites" and hear it.  (You'll have better recall anyways with the vocalized rehearsal of conversation and the multi-modality sensory input from the actual environmental experience ;)