Popular Posts

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Another Person's Treasure

I love online freebies.  My latest treasure came from Craigslist: Earobics 1 and 2.  This is an expensive gem that was mixed into the freebies of rusted trailer, free dirt, heavy 70's style armoir (bring extra people cause I won't help you move it), and free "misc items (all rained on) by the curb."  And don't forget the token "free couch" that is tattered, peed on, ripped and dumped curbside "great for someone's game room"...

Earobics is an electronic game excellent for Auditory Processing Disorders.  Some schools use the program.  On Amazon, I bought one used for around $60.  Here, I was given two!  I actually already own Step 1 but the package deal was well worth the 30 minute (one way) drive!

If you have been following my updates for Fast ForWord reviews, then you are familiar with the desired outcome of the games.  Earobics is what I purchased prior to doling out $$$$ (yup, that's right...) for FF.  It is FF without the extremely beneficial one on one consultant to help you over the plateaus.  

I was sooo excited about my (husband's) freebie find yet even more excited about a fellow parent of a child with learning issues.  Someone else has been down the same road of Auditory Processing Disorder tools that I felt like I needed to "give back" something in return as gratitude.

Regardless of how it could come across, I took with me a smile and a short, handwritten list of other helpful resources to pass along.  As a side note, "my personality" doesn't do this! Here's what I wrote down for this surprised and bemused stranger who I felt akin to (seeing as we both bought Earobics to help our kids with APD and the like):


#1 on my list, of course: Fast ForWord

  • included a link to my blog for detailed info on the program
  • scilearn.com  has a great video for more info



#2  Auditory Processing Disorders (2007) by Geffner and Ross-Swain
  • it is the college manual for treatment of the disorder
  • it includes a great list of "over the counter" games to play to improve skills
  • amazon.com




  • GREAT resource and free program details for APD, dyslexia, and dysgraphia
  • a "totally different approach to auditory memory," which is by looking at the physical causes






#4  How Your Child Learns Best (2008) by Judy Willis







#5  Liberty Consultants, Canton, CT
  • liberty4kids.com
  • she specializes in reorganizing the "disorganized brain" and reteaching skills in order to rearrange the brain for function